AMALGA PLANNING AND ZONING MINUTES
MAY 3, 2023
6590 N 2400 W
Visitors: Mayor Dave Wood, Nikolos Nielson, Carl Sims, Jared Wiser, Zelda Wiser, Tad Speakerman
Members: Jason Munk, Vice Chairman, Judy Downs, April Hansen, Mike Diehl, Commission Members. Dave Lee, Secretary/Town Board
1. Minutes of March 1, 2023 read by Judy Downs. Date on printed minutes was corrected to March 1, 2023.
Motion to Approve with correction-Jason Munk
2. Business License Application from Carl Sims, at 8466 N 2400 W for Proving Grounds Invitational, a 'Grappling Event' business. No business, other than scheduling, takes place at this location.
Motion to Approve-Judy Downs
3. Business License Application from Nicolas Nielson at 2435 W 6200 N for 'Fluff and Farms' a business raising chickens for meat and eggs, rabbits, and goats. Mr. Nielson is in the beginning stages of this process. The Commission visited with him about some potential problems, such as noise from roosters, and also smell from chicken manure. These were addressed by him, and he also asked that if any complaints were brought up, to come to him directly. No actual processing of animals will take place on the property. Mr. Nielson was advised that no structures housing animals could be located within 50 feet of any residence.
Motion to Approve-April Hansen
4. A discussion was held with Jared Wiser, representing Kurtis Falslev about building on the Keith Jorgenson property located across the road from Jason Munk at approximately 2900 W 5700 N. There is about 61 acres involved. Mr. Falslev is interested in buying this property, which is currently up for sale, and building a single residence on it. The commission explained that town code requires a minimum of 1 acre and 150' of frontage. There is some issue here about the Cache Canal that runs along the edge of the property near the road. It was explained that any issues with the canal would have to be worked out with the canal company. The Planning and Zoning Commission has no legal interest in that part of the negotiation. The question was raised about the Amalga Towns Code that only allows one house to be built on a minor subdivision property, and then having to wait four years from the time the building permit is issued before another piece of property could be subdivided. Mr. Wiser also posed the question if after, as an example, the owner wanted to subdivide after two years and create a major subdivision, would that be allowed. The commission was uncertain as to an answer to this question. Mayor Wood said he would contact our attorney for an opinion. As mentioned above, this was a discussion only, no approvals were given, and no action taken.
5. For discussion, Mike Diehl has been approached by Vince Olague to construct a parking area at the Olague Event Center at approximately 3000 W 8600N which would comply with the requirements of the County Fire Marshall. This has been an ongoing issue for some time. The parking lot is only part of what is required for the 'Event Center' to open for business. There have been some stipulations attached to granting a license for this enterprise. In the past there have been complaints of noise, and of some street racing after the Center closes. In his original application, Mr. Olague told the commission there would be no alcohol at the events. This turned out to not be the case. The commission is requiring that when people rent the property, they sign a document which indicates that they understand no alcohol will be allowed, and also that loud noise will not be allowed after 11:00 PM. This is supposed to be a 'family event center'. Mike Diehl, who is a member of the Planning and Zoning Commission will remind Vince Olague that there are other issues as well, still involved in the process of opening back up for business. This will be re-visited as needed.
*As a side note, our voice recorder malfunctioned, so we have no recording of this meeting.
Motion to Adjourn-Jason Munk
Meeting Adjourned at 8:15 PM
*THESE MINUTES OFFICIAL UNTIL APPROVED*
Notice of Special Accommodations (ADA)
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, individuals needing special accommodations (including auxiliary communicative aids and services) during this meeting should notify Morris Hansen at 435-750-5566.