

Outdoor Adventure Commission Minutes

October 31, 2023

Meeting Location: Soldier Hollow Conference Room

Department of Natural Resources

Division of Outdoor Recreation

1594 W. North Temple, Suite 100

Salt Lake City, UT 84116

Virtual Meeting Information:

Outdoor Adventure Commission Meeting

Tuesday, October 31 · 2:00 – 4:00pm

Time zone: America/Denver

Google Meet joining info

Video call link: <https://meet.google.com/nra-xnxp-bjj>

Or dial: (US) +1 252-316-6668 PIN: 968 283 830#

More phone numbers: <https://tel.meet/nra-xnxp-bjj?pin=1520591402956>

Outdoor Adventure Commission YouTube Playlist

<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWlxD5-tnhxrWAb0osnucRKxne2LX0gQW>

Attendees

In-Person: Rep. Jeff Stenquist, Pitt Grewe, Jason Curry, Tara McKee, Kate Bradshaw, Josh Van Jura, Vicki Varela, Brandy Grace, Elizabeth Sodja, Jake Powell, Dr. Jordan Smith, Ty Hunter, Caroline Weiler, Deirdre Miller, Patrick Morrison, Evan Beitsch, Casey Trout, Shane Stroud, Carly Lansche

Virtual: Kelly Goonan, Camille Johnson, Chase Pili, Elaine Gizler, Jeff Hartley, Jerry Taylor, Natalie Randall

Minutes

1. Welcome - **00:35**

Rep. Stenquist: Call meeting to order.

2. Minute Approval - **01:00**
 - a. Motion approved by Brandy Grace
 - b. Unanimous approval

3. Boating Rule Changes - **01:25**

Ty Hunter presenting on 79-7201 rule changes. DOR is recodifying rules because some of the rules have not been pulled over by State Parks. We will be codifying them and readministering them under 56260, we have taken some language that is now in compliance with administrative rules and we noticed that there were some pieces of languages that were not in harmony with the code of federal regulations.

Rep. Jeff Stenquist : It sounds like this is clean up language? Nothing substantive.

Shane Stroud: The only substantive edits were to bring the rules in line with the code of federal regulations but those are a handful of definitional changes.

Rep. Jeff Stenquist : There is no action to be taken, just information.

4. OHV Rule Change Notification - Chase Pili - **03:55**

Chase Pili: These are only technical changes nothing substantive, similar to Ty's presentation. This is related to decals, safety flags, and designation for the three sand dunes in Utah, for 412 this is for the safety curriculum and standards. These are also for the OHV license plates. These are all technical changes nothing substantive.

5. Outdoor Recreation Initiative Update - Patrick Morrison - **05:50**

Patrick Morrison: Thank you all, this is an update on this bill language it was set up by HB 224. It is coming from the outdoor adventure infrastructure account. A lot of this will be modeled after the Watershed Restoration Initiative. This program does a great job of leveraging funds from other partners. This is about streamlining and leveraging state efficiencies, we will be creating regional recreation councils to look at grants, planning. The WRI does a great job of this with their councils. We get a lot of support from the legislature but there are still some big gaps that we need to address, such as planning and NEPA. We look forward to the finalized strategic plan. We have a diverse array of projects of over \$50 million dollars in request to learn more about what they want to see. We are reaching out to our federal partners while also working with our local partners. We are going to be refining projects and we are also collecting more information for these. We will have you all review this information in our Nov, Dec, and Jan meetings. This is when you all will go to the legislature and ask for this project list to be approved. There are a log of regional councils out there, AOG regions, Forestry Fire and State Lands, and others. We have created 5 regional recreation council ideas to group counties together to do quarterly meetings, facilitate these meetings, and work together to identify projects Similar to what has been happening in the Zion region. We want to pull some members from the Canyon Country Partners meeting and the Zion Regional Collaborative, we want to see a diverse array or city, county, tribal state, non-profit partners, etc. These are the draft 5 regional councils right now, we would appreciate your feedback. I want this to be a collaborative effort since it will be landing on your desks.

Pitt Grewe: How do we move projects along that are cross-regional?

Patrick Morrison: I am not so worried about those because they will be discussed in both of those regional councils. As part of the report we will want to create a project prioritization model so that we can identify those gaps. Project SCOPE needs to be significant and something that will not be addressed through our other grant projects. We will help with major backlogged projects. This could have an impact across the country so that people can model our example. We want it to be in alignment with the Outdoor Recreation Strategic Plan. Each year we will have a solicitation phase where the general public can solicit projects through an interest form, then we will have division staff solicit projects from patterns, the regional councils will also organize local projects. After this we will have a ranking and approval phase so that we can have consensus from all of you and approval from the legislature. The state has a lot of efficiencies, so when we are working with federal partners there are a lot of ways that we can step in to help and maximize those efficiencies. We will be asking for more staff support to help with these. Our shared stewardship agreements with our federal land

management agencies is going to be really important. Not to step on the last side, we have a lot of requests that are coming forward to acquire land, NEPA, and planning requests. These are big considerations for partners across the state where we have gaps in how we are currently funding recreation. We want to increase how these partners can work on these projects. We will be scheduling these projects over the next few months to have presentations from our partners. We will have November and December to review these projects and in January we will pivot to some of the non-traditional projects like feasibility studies, planning, etc. In the general session, we will move forward requesting approval from the legislature. The next meetings will look like 10 minute presentation with 5 minutes Q&A for you all. We hope that the presenters can bring more detailed information to share with all of you. Does everyone feel comfortable with those upcoming meetings?

Brandy Grace: The next November meeting which is the 14th is in the room as I might have a conflict.

*Some people in the room might have conflict with the meetings and it was mentioned that these meetings could be recorded so that they could go back and see the presentations that were given. Patrick mentioned that a formal vote could take place later on.

Patrick Morrison: January can be a formal meeting to hold a formal vote and actually reserve some time as it would give an opportunity for people to get caught up.

Josh Van Jura: We've seen a lot of scopes running over with our ATIF funding, is there any contingency packaged into this request?

Patrick Morrison: That is a great thing to consider, we typically request a 10%

Pitt Grewe: What's the timeline with the ATIF? Are people going to apply for both with these projects?

Josh Van Jura: The windows close, the application deadline might be February.

Pitt Grewe: There are probably a handful of projects that could go either way.

Patrick Morrison: There are two right now that could be two projects right now, one is on the Virgin River and another from Mt. Carmel, and the discussion has been to use this funding long action transpiration path. They want to put in a supporting infrastructure because that's not covered by the ATIF.

Josh Van Jura: We can certainly get our ATIF funding person to sync up with you all.

Patrick Morrison: Yeah, and that would be great. This is a very accelerated timeline to get this moving this year as we look at the subsequent years. I want all of the thoughts to make this a truly unique and powerful program to support outdoor recreation.

Jason Curry: I think that unique is key and looking at funding those gaps not covered by our existing funding programs. I want to recognize Patrick for his work, it started as a few lines of code and he has taken it to a great extent given the compressed timeline.

Patrick Morrison: I didn't do this alone. I want to thank all the individuals that helped me put this all together.

Vicki Varela: I would agree that this is very impressive, can you remind me is there a maximum? What is the total amount that we can allocate?

Tara McKee: There is a minimum, right?

Patrick Morrison: For a minimum for construction we would want it to be the max of our other funding opportunities, and for a maximum, it could be \$10 million. In these cases we will want to ask requesters to offer up alternative funding

amounts. We have the first \$19 million and then we will get another \$19 million July 1st, with the new fiscal year. There will be a great opportunity with this amount of substantial funding to target an entire kind of recreation system, some of which are going to be very large projects.

Tara McKee: Fantastic job, Patrick. It may be interesting to see how these can be created. It would be good to see how these projects overlay within the upcoming year and our partners can maybe help us with this.

Josh Van Jura: For UDOT's prioritization process we typically map them and show them on a list as well. Is that possible to do here as well?

Tara McKee: Yes we do ATIV low and it's like a heat map.

Patrick Morrison: Yes, we will do that. It is good to try and spread out the funding. Thanks for your feedback, I will share the project interest form and all the other material that I have.

Rep. Jeff Stenquist: Thanks for all your work on this.

6. Presentation of Final Utah Outdoor Recreation Strategic Plan - Dr. Jordan Smith - **33:10**

Jordan Smith: Thank you all for your involvement this will be a great thing for Utah. It is great to see some of these ideas that have come from conversations during the planning process over a year ago that is already being fruitful and taking shape. Please keep in mind that this is not just a plan for DOR or the Office of Tourism, this is for the entire state and all of its stakeholders that have a big role in providing outdoor recreation. This strategic plan has a lot of data from many stakeholders. This is not a typical strategic planning process that focuses on specifically focused on an agency or organization, this process is meant to address all outdoor recreation and outdoor recreation agencies. Trying to collect all different inputs to understand all those different needs that are required as it represents a lot of those stakeholders that are not necessarily represented.

Rep. Jeff Stenquist: To follow up on the point that there is a lot of underlying data to support the plan.

Jordan Smith: The DOR has website landing page already It was about 18 months ago when we started this project in May of 2022. We want to share a video that we've prepared for this.

Rep. Jeff Stenquist:

****VIDEO****

Jordan Smith: That was a short and fun video that we wanted to produce to share with people who have been involved as a stakeholder or members of the public to showcase what we've done. To summarize, the strategic plan has four Cardinal Directions. These are meant to be various things on the horizon. There is a lot that this commission can do with this plan. I'd like to remind everybody that this is the vision for outdoor recreation within Utah for the future.

Jake Powell: Jason said in the video, "after this plan is approved we have to get to work." We hope that you all take this strategic plan goals and objectives you can reference in your efforts. We wanted to start a conversation with all of our Commissioners to understand how the organizations that you can represent in how you think this overlap can occur or where it could occur?

Rep. Jeff Stenquist: There has been a lot of work on this, this really a charge from this plan so that we can create a strategic vision for outdoor recreation. If there is any input to this I want to hear it, we want to make sure.

Kate Bradshaw: I saw some edits and that they were incorporated into the feedback.

Vicki Varela: I'm very happy with it, I've asked our team to review the updated version but I haven't heard back yet. I like this direction and I think this creates a great platform for us to get to work.

Jason Curry: I agree with that. There is some great momentum, as you've heard with Patrick's presentation earlier. There is a lot of opportunity to increase our collaboration and coordination, particularly with our private industries. Right now, we don't really have a central point to make some of this happen so we have a lot of opportunity. We hear all the time that communities need help with planning and this gives us great direction for that.

Tara McKee: I would underscore that and mention that there are some areas, particularly our rural communities, that could benefit from additional help. This is really great at adding goal posts for us as we move forward with targets in mind as we continue to add capacity to the division.

Kelly Goonan: I think you and your team did a tremendous job and deserve kudos. There is a lot of duplication of efforts to propose to the Commission how we can support individual processes but also create a platform of what current projects are happening. I can think of multiple examples here in southwest Utah, it seems like many folks are working towards the same direction but they may not be aware of each other. I think this points back to the ORI in regard to the regional councils and having that coordination. I appreciate the work that went into this plan.

Rep. Jeff Stenquist: Any other comments? I don't know if we answered your specific questions.

Jake Powell: We just wanted to spark conversation about this among the commission. Yes, the business that you wanted to cover is very relevant.

Josh Van Jura: This very format has brought them together in a great way to increase coordination, yesterday Tara and I were able to figure out where your trail crews can help. This very format has brought people together and most of the people I know in this room, however, I would not see them as much without this meeting. I am able to see them monthly and this is a good thing.

Vicki Varela: Our office right now is establishing the Forever Mighty plan so that we can create a foundation for what additional stewardship messaging that we can do.

Pitt Grewe: I think along those lines that should be something that this Commission should be looking at how we measure these 4-cardinal directions in the future. What are the metrics that we are going to look at, are we changing education levels. Does the plan have the impact and what does that impact look like moving forward so that we can pivot adjust and recalibrate when needed? We need to be able to track these impacts and find a way to track this.

Jordan Smith: We wanted to have the discussion to highlight how so many of you are already doing this work and how you can all work together. There are a lot of opportunities and I think there are a lot of objectives or areas of opportunities. So I think that again that we really emphasize the power of the commission is to just share those best practices or share what's working. So that other people can learn from and so that counties can learn from it. These metrics are going to be up to you as a committee to decide what they are. These areas of opportunities are really right as when you back to the state legislature two or three years, these will be majors wins and we already have majors wins.

Vicki Varela: So this is the final version?

Jordan Smith: So we have some minor tweaks, so if you have some small editorial issues, feel free to send them along.

Vivki Varela: What is our timeline for that?

Rep. Jeff Stenquist: So I think that this is a question for the commission. Do we want to go over some final tweaks and review it and then come back for final adoptions?. If we're ready to approve it now we can do that, but it sounds like we should wait to approve this on our next meeting.

Pitt Grewe: Who takes this next step and will take this up the hill for the legislators to make sure that they read over this beautiful document?

Jason Curry: I think to answer that Pitt, obviously our Chair has a huge capacity to do that but each and everyone of us has contacts on the hill to share with as we have the opportunity to do so.

Pitt Grewe: So that leads up to my next question. What are the legal ramifications of us lobbying for projects or plans as we are a part of this commission. Is there any repercussions if a project is pushed for if I feel passionate about it?

Rep. Jeff Stenquist: We will need to go through the process and then we can discuss those as a commission. You can advocate for your favorite project amongst us, we can debate and have a discussion on them as we look through them we prioritize as well. My hope for this is that we are able to refer to this document and really utilize it as a useful working document. As we evaluate projects we are going to have to ask is this supporting our goals or is this taking us in a different direction.

Pitt Grewe: I think that is the key part. Putting together a suggestive list together is probably going to be the easiest way to educate the legislature and decision makers on this. As we say that we are supportive of this because it checks this cardinal directions. We are going to be pointing back to what's driving the decision of that and pointing back to the support of the aspect of it.

Rep. Jeff Stenquist: Yeah I think thats a really good idea. Really having that be part of the key criteria that were using while evaluating these projects.

Jason Curry: I don't intend to have this being one of those, pile of plans or that shelf of plans that fits. On how do we track success. So that we do know if we are building support on it? Are we improving? Are we increasing? And being able to have ways to look back and show progress and tell the story of what we have done.

Tara Mckee: The other part Pitt when you were talking about advocating for areas of opportunities that does not currently exist. That we ought to take a look at it and see if it does exist, can it exist without funding and if it can't than thats another aspect of potential.

Pitt Grewe: This does come back to leveraging funding resources from the private sector, that was labeled as one of the priorities here. When is it right to point direction say go to the private sector vs if it's a state sponsor or state initiative?

Brandy Grace: I would extended the invitation to our two conferences. County commissioners hold a call every month and if there are any stakeholders that would like to be on that agenda I'd be happy to facilitate that.

Rep. Jeff Stenquist: I'd like to participate.

Tara Mckee: If you'd ever want Patrick to present on that, I think that would be a good thing. Maybe a future UAC.

Kate Bradshaw: Along similar lines we have a season lines conference in April. In order to make sure that it is something that doesn't just sit, I would like to make sure that we have final copies. That we get enough copies for the lead board and the staff but I think it's better as an interactive document.

Rep. Jeff Stenquist: Speaking about evangelizing the plan, so instantly the legislature is an important audience and the different groups that we all represent, along with all the communities that we interact with as well. Come up with

opportunities, such as the recreation conference, trails workshops, and be able to inform people that there is this strategic plan and to be able to get them on board with it.

Pitt Grewe: This gives a blueprint for the user groups for their activities. As those user groups are the ones that are going to be carrying out the flag to get a project done more so than a busy volunteer commissioner from a rural country that is going to want to do it but has a thousand of things to do on their plate. This gives user groups a voice for their activities. We need to get them on board as well, use it as their torch to help get projects done.

Jason Curry: And that is something that will help keep this plan relevant. If they know about it they can advocate it in their circle of influence and yeah keep it relevant. Keep it moving and keep the progress going. A couple of weeks ago I went to the official unveiling of the air, water and land institutes report, it was a huge production. It would be a good thing to consider doing an event such as this and invite all of those partners and stakeholders. We could show the video, give them a copy of the document, and ask for them to be engaged in it.

Vicki Varela: Do you have an outdoor recreation guide?

Carly Lansche: Yes, It is February 15th.

Jason Curry: Its on the hill.

Vicki Varela: That could be a really interesting launch date.

Rep. Jeff Stenquest: We could run it at the tour caucus too.

Tara Mckee: We could do something before, I could book something at the Galvian.

Kate Bradshaw: Don't you have to book them a year in advance? Unless someone cancels, we can get sessions breaks.

Tara Mckee: We already have some session breaks.

Vicki Varela: We could do a series of announcements.

Jason Curry: We could do a media event and invite the media, partners, refreshments, etc.

Vicki Varela: I think these regional groups will be really useful. We have a rural outreach team with the Governor's office of Economic Opportunity of rural coordination.

Tara Mckee: We could do December 12th as that is the date of our Outdoor Adventure Commission meeting. We could have it at a different location and right before the new cycle.

Brandy Grace: Would that give you time to get more copies? If it's approved at the next meeting.

Vicki Varela: I'd like to play devil's advocate because you can't get people's attention during that time of year.

Kate Bradshaw: I actually like the idea of doing multiple. I think it would be best to do as many as we possibly can.

Jason Curry: Mainly for the media to have the opportunity, especially if we time it right.

Tara Mckee: If it's a slow media day maybe we'll get more attention.

Jason Curry: Well put a list together of all those opportunities.

Jake Powell: Something that I was talking about with Jordan on the drive down was this commission's extreme responsibility when it comes to advocacy or funding. This can become all-consuming especially when we are ranking projects and I am just grateful that this is all finished ahead of the moment where you have to shift gears for the next

couple of months and focus on that. Projects tend to become easy to focus on as that is what makes it fun but it is going to be about the way to advocate for the larger direction.

Jason Curry: Along those lines, we have other grant programs that we can take a look at criteria for scoring on the other grant programs through the lens of the strategic plan and the data that goes along with it.

Jordan Smith: We'd like to thank all involved. It was a real pleasure to help the Outdoor Adventure Commission.

Vicki Varela: I'd like clarification is this the same version that we received electronically?

Jordan Smith: Yes

Vicki Varela: Right, thank you.

Rep. Jeff Stenquist: Is there anything else that anyone would like to mention before we adjourn? Alright, well I'll call for a final motion.

Everyone: Motions adjourn

Rep. Jeff Stenquist: Alright, for all those in favor to adjourn say aye.

Everyone: I

Rep. Jeff Stenquist: Alright, we are adjourned. Thank you everyone for your participation.

Final motion

Pitt Grewe: motion

Motion passed unanimously