Contact: Ally Isom
Deputy Chief of Staff
Salt Lake City - As specified by legislation recently passed by the Utah State Legislature, Governor Gary R. Herbert has announced the creation of the Advisory Council on Optimizing and Streamlining State Government. The Council's first meeting is scheduled for Thursday, June 30 at 2 p.m. in the Senate Caucus room on the third floor of the Utah State Capitol.
"While Utah has been recognized as the Best Managed State in America, there is always room to evaluate and improve how we serve Utah," the Governor said. "In that spirit, this Council will consider agency consolidation, reducing costs, incorporating best practices and streamlining services. This isn't just about doing it cheaper; it's about doing it better."
The Advisory Council on Optimizing and Streamlining State Government will build upon the meaningful efforts of the Governor's Commission on Optimizing State Government. The Council will be chaired by former Lieutenant Governor Val Oveson, a recognized leader in state government optimization, and includes Rep. Wayne Harper and Sen. Stuart Reid, sponsors of HB 280, State Agency Realignment, the bill that authorized the Council.
Council members include a broad array of leaders in business, government, community and state agencies:
- Val Oveson, Advisory Council Chairman, former State Auditor, Lt. Governor, C.P.A.
- Stuart Reid, State Senator
- Wayne Harper, State Representative
- Patrice Arent, State Representative
- Kristen Cox, Executive Director of the Department of Workforce Services
- Clark Harms, Chairman of the Board of Pardons and Parole
- Brent Gardner, Executive Director, Utah Association of Counties
- Carlos Linares, Businessman and Professor, Past President and CEO of the Utah Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Tammie Lucero, Economic Development Executive Director, Uintah County
- Michelle McComber, Executive Vice President, Utah Medical Association
- Dave Hart, Executive Director, BYU Romney Institute of Public Management
- Taylor Oldroyd, Chief Executive Officer, Utah County Association of Realtors
- Brad Bertoch, President, Wayne Brown Institute
- Tom Bingham, President, Utah Manufacturers Association
- Randy Parker, Executive Director, Utah Farm Bureau
- Randy Harmsen, Engineer and Business Owner
- Tyler Ploeger, C.P.A., Audit Manager with Tanner Co.
- Lincoln Shurtz, Legislative Director, Utah League of Cities and Towns
- Jenny Wilson, Executive Director of Institutional Advancement, John A. Moran Eye Center, past Salt Lake County Council Member