Jun 02 2011
Ally Isom, Deputy Chief of Staff 801.538.1503 firstname.lastname@example.org
Rich Olsen, Utah Interactive General Manager 801.983.0275 email@example.com
Governor Unveils Utah.gov Major Redesign
First State to Deliver Fully Immersive, Search-Centric and Citizen-Sourced Information
SALT LAKE CITY - June 2, 2011 - Today Utah Governor Gary R. Herbert unveiled a new look for and major enhancements to the official state website (http://utah.gov). The new Utah.gov design once again redefines how state government delivers services and information by using enhanced technologies and a cutting edge layout to provide an exceptional experience for Utah's citizens and businesses. "We are thrilled to announce the re-design of Utah.Gov. Utahns are tech savvy and they expect their government to be the same," said Utah Governor Gary Herbert. "Economic development in the State has been a top priority and the new design focuses on utilizing the most innovative technology to better serve Utah citizens and business 24/7."
Recognized repeatedly as the leading state e-government solution, Utah.gov continually innovates to deliver over 1200 state, federal, and local online services and 24/7 live customer service. Utah.gov averages more than 1.2 million unique visitors per month, the highest per capita visitation rate of any government website in the United States, including WhiteHouse.gov. Last year, Utah.gov processed more than 25.1 million secure electronic transactions through the official state website, mobile-optimized services, automated phone system, and point-of-purchase systems at retail outlets statewide.
"We are continually looking for ways to add more services and make them more accessible for citizens. Every year we add dozens of innovative services to not only make interacting with the government more convenient, but also to increase government transparency," said Stephen Fletcher, Utah State Chief Information Officer.
Key features of the new Utah.gov include:
- Search-Friendly - Search is the most used feature on the site - two times more than the next highest feature. In 2009, Utah.gov made search prominent, but in the 2011 version, search is unmistakable. Utah.gov's search results are also expanded to deliver related agency information, office hours, interactive maps, and related forms.
- Community-Based Information - Utah.gov remains at the forefront of using technology to identify a citizen's location and present community-specific information such as public meetings, jobs, and government office locations. Visitors from outside the state also receive a unique experience that showcases stunning images of Utah and encourages exploration for those who may be relocating, starting a business, or looking for great tourist destinations around the state.
- Simplified Design for Web, Mobile, and Tablet Devices - By using Utah.gov's strong technical foundation, the new website is available to citizens through web browsers, mobile phones, and tablet devices. Social media plug-ins (such as Twitter and Facebook) are also standard elements across the site.
- Citizen Participation (Crowdsourcing) - Information can now be more easily gathered from citizens in several areas, including homepage images (via Flickr), maps, mobile applications, infographics, and widgets.
- Trending Topics - Utah.gov now provides a real-time view of the most popular services, such as the number of Utahans who are registering vehicles, or taking a notary exam. This provides insight into what is popular that day and shows all that can be done on Utah.gov.
To access a complete Press Package please refer to http://utah.gov/media. Find out more information about Utah.gov through:
RSS feeds: http://www.utah.gov/connect/feeds.html
Utah blogs: http://www.utah.gov/blogs/
Utah.gov is the entry point to over 1000 online services and benefits over 2.7 million residents in the State of Utah. Utah.gov provides citizens and businesses with more convenient options for interacting with government. Through Utah.gov, citizens can find public meetings, renew their vehicle registration, buy a hunting and fishing license, register a business, find a transparent state budget, and much more. In 2010 alone, Utah.gov received an unprecedented 15 awards making it the nation's most honored state website.
Utah.gov is the official Web portal for the State of Utah (http://www.Utah.gov). It was ranked first in the nation in the Center for Digital Government's 2009 Best of the Web competition. It is managed and operated without tax funds through a public-private partnership between the state and Utah Interactive, the Salt Lake City-based official eGovernment partner for the state of Utah. Utah Interactive is part of eGovernment firm NIC's family of companies.