April is Earthquake Preparedness Month 2009
On Tuesday, March 31 - Governor Jon Huntsman declared the month of April as Earthquake Preparedness Month in Utah.
The Utah Seismic Safety Commission will lead the preparedness efforts during April and each week will have a focus:
- Schools (April 6 - 10)
- Communities (April 13 - 17)
- Individuals and Families (April 20 - 24)
- Public and private organizations/businesses and partnerships (April 27 - 30)
In addition, the USSC will be releasing the Putting Down Roots in Earthquake Country handbook statewide! A newsprint-version of the Roots handbook will be inserted into local newspapers on Sunday April 5, 2009.
Why is earthquake preparedness important in Utah?
Utah has experienced damaging earthquakes in the past and geologic evidence indicates that earthquakes larger than any experienced locally in historical time are likely in the future.
We must prepare for earthquakes because:
* Utah is a seismically active region
* Our population is concentrated in the areas of greatest hazard
* Many of our older buildings and lifelines have low earthquake resistance
Earthquake Preparedness Information
Duck, Cover and Hold!
Tips For Preparing Children
Tips For The Elderly
Preparing Your Family for An Earthquake
How To Secure Your Furniture
Tips for Apartment and Mobile Home Managers
Organizing Your Neighborhood
Tips For Pet Owners
Tips For The Physically Challenged
Other Links of Interest